Podcast Episode 18: Dana Lawson, VP Engineering at GitHubam 02. September 2019
Dana explains in this episode how the US Military brought her into tech, what the definition of a VP Engineering is and how GitHub prioritizes feature requests by it’s paying and non paying customers.
About the podcast
Digitale Leute Insights is the podcast for passionate product people. We interview product developers from around the world and take a closer look at their tools and tactics.
Host: Oliver Thylmann
In this episode, you will learn:
- About Dana’s tech career, especially how she started in the US Military around the turn of the millennium in an all-female team [00:01:41]
- Definition of the role of a VP Engineering. [00:12:42]
- How to manage the reliability of Githubs services on the one hand and being able to try out new stuff on the other. [00:20:21]
- Who fixes features when they break. [00:23:31]
- How Github prioritize feature development. Do feature requests from paying customers receive a different treatment than those from free users? [00:28:34]
- What the road map for Github is. [00:32:28]
- What trends Dana sees coming for the industry at the moment. [00:35:41]
- Why new technologies don’t make companies smaller yet. [00:38:10]
- How Github feels after being acquired by Microsoft. [00:42:27]
- How to switch off in a remote setting with a global workforce. [00:44:23]
- Why „The Power of Habit“ by Charles Duhigg is Dana’s book of the year. [00:47:34]
LinkedIn: Dana Lawson
About the Host:
Oliver is a serial entrepreneur based in Cologne, Germany. He is the co-founder of Giant Swarm, a 30-person SaaS company providing managed microservice infrastructure to big enterprises.