Software Architect (L6) – IoT
We are looking for an Architect for the IoT Business unit at Twilio. The architect will lead the technical strategy and direction of the group, and shepherd the group’s participation in Twilio’s architecture processes and practices.
As a member of the larger Architecture community, they are responsible to provide feedback on the proposals of other Architects/team and collaborate on the larger cross-team technological direction of Twilio as a whole.
The ideal candidate will have a great depth and balance of both technical and leadership skills.
- Extensive experience building and operating high-scale, mission critical production systems. They should have learned enough lessons the hard way that they’re able to share them with others.
- Knowledge of architectural patterns and archetypes for building mature services, especially for distributed and multi-regional
- Deep familiarity and experience with at least one cloud provider’s capabilities and caveats, including cost efficiencies
- Excellent abilities in high level service design — modeling interfaces and internals in a properly modular, composable, and extensible way.
- Good working knowledge with the data persistence layers of all types, and what use cases are appropriate for which.
- A strong awareness and ability to translate and incorporate the needs of non-engineering stakeholders such as end customers, product, security, support, finance, and data privacy
- Demonstrable experience modernizing ‘legacy’ systems
- A strong grasp on the broader computing landscape — what the most dependable technologies are to use today, as well as which are emerging and should be paid attention to.
- Prior experience with Telecommunications technologies is a strong bonus.
- Prior experience with IoT technologies is a strong bonus.
The Architect should be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills, outside of purely technical concerns. Being able to know the right way to build something is a necessary part of the role, but it is not sufficient. Architects also need to be able to work with teams, business units, and the broader company to bring these plans to life.
A candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills in several mediums and tailored for different audiences (e.g. technical/non-technical, business/finance etc.):
- The written word (Documentation, Chat, emails, etc)
- Visualizing complex topics
- Verbal communications and Presentations
- Facilitating in person or distributed conversations and design sessions
They should also be great collaborators, particularly with the members of the teams they represent. Other engineers should leave conversations with them feeling respected and still the owners of their designs, but that their plans have benefited from the architect’s involvement and feedback.
The mindset of an effective architect is also important. It should be clear that they are:
- Willing to propose and support solutions, but able to integrate feedback without defensiveness
- Hospitality / Service Focused — being of service to the teams they support as opposed to controlling or lecturing them
- Excellent Mentors to those they work with
The role of the Architect has several key activities.
The most common task is to provide direct architectural guidance. This can take many forms. Within a team, it often looks like collaborating with teams that are trying to solve specific problems, both at early stages (considering how to approach the problem from a high level) as well as guidance after a project has been assigned to teams and they are beginning to design systems.
It also can mean working in many other arenas, such as with leadership to understand high level feasibility of concepts, or with other dependent teams, or even providing troubleshooting advice.
Architects also end up producing technical designs for systems (blueprints), as well as providing thoughtful feedback on the plans produced by others.
Another essential task is to create broader strategic frameworks and technical roadmaps for both the IoT BU as well as Twilio as a whole. This work is especially important in aligning a given team’s work to the overall technology mission of the company.
Finally, architects provide invaluable mentorship and training throughout the organization. They are constantly looking for ways to scale up the knowledge transfer. Twilio works best when every engineer is capable of delivering excellent architectures without interventions!
The IoT Business unit is revolutionizing the world of IoT connectivity and embedded systems development, making it drastically easier to deploy connected devices across the globe, and with the ease of use and reliability that Twilio is known for.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we’re dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position will be located in our Berlin hub, meaning the position can be either on-site in our Berlin office or remote in Germany, the Netherlands or the UK. Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.Jetzt Bewerben